Hardwood flooring has been a constant in homes for decades and there’s a reason for that. Not only is it stunning but it’s also more durable than people think. But to keep hardwood looking good there is some maintenance that has to go into it. With a few simple care tips, you can keep the hardwood flooring in your custom home looking beautiful for years!
Like any other flooring, it’s important to regularly sweep and vacuum. Doing so will prevent gritty dirt from building up, which can scratch the wood’s surface. Many kinds of wood will naturally change colors when exposed to UV rays. Having UV protecting window covers, blinds, or rugs is a great way to slow this down.
Many wood species are susceptible to warping if exposed to water for an extended period of time. If you live in an area where people are entering with wet feet, it’s recommended you keep rugs near the entrances and exits.
Always clean up any liquid spills as soon as possible to prevent the wood from warping and rotting. Different wood species, types, and stains will react differently to moisture so make sure you understand your wood. If you don’t catch a spill in time, completely dry out the damp wood and then call in a flooring expert.
While regular cleaning is important, there are some ways you can try to prevent damage from happening.
- Keep pets’ nails trimmed and paws clean
- Use a humidifier to keep the humidity between 35%-55%. This helps reduce wood shrinkage.
- Wipe up spills and spots immediately
- Use ice to harden sticky substances (like wax or gum), and then gently scrape off with a plastic scraper.
- Place floor mats near entrances and exits
- Avoid wearing stilettos on the wood as these can create dents
- Avoid dropping heavy objects as this can create dents and scratches
- Resist mopping hardwoods with water or other liquids (spot clean as needed with a damp cloth and then dry completely)
- Do not use any oil soaps, liquid or paste wax, or any other household products containing tung oil, silicon, citrus, or lemon to clean floors.
- Stay away from tough cleaning aids like scouring pads, steel wool, or scouring powders
- Do not use any cleaners containing acrylics or urethane polish to restore gloss
If your hardwood becomes damaged don’t worry. There still is a chance they can be salvaged. Wet flooring may be able to be dried out. Sanding and refinishing the flooring may fix scratches, dent, sun fading, and other issues.
We always recommend homeowners to buy extra wood when putting in their flooring. It may seem like an extra cost, or pointless, but if there is damage it can be hard to find matching wood later on. Having some spare wood at hand means professional flooring companies can come in and simply patch the damaged areas without having to redo the entire space.
There is nothing more classic than hardwood flooring. No matter the species, color, or pattern, hardwood floors bring value and style to any custom home in Toronto. If you have any more questions about maintaining hardwood flooring or want to get starting building your dream custom home, please contact us.